StubHub--Your Place to Buy and Sell Concert Tickets

Saturday, October 28, 2006

El Goodo, Like a Fox, British Accents...

I have delayed this post for a couple of days as I was listening to a CD that I just really like to listen to. It is from a band from Wales called El Goodo. The group is a five piece, and the band is: Jason, Pixy, Lewie, Elliot and Matty. I have not been able to find out much more about them then there names and that they are from Wales. A good thing is that, the Super Furry Animals like them.

Now lets get down to the music, El Goodo have done something that I personally have yet to see in a CD. What is the that? You might ask! It's about the difference influences that these lads from Wales have put together. The influences on the CD start in the 60's with the Beatles and the Beach Boys and flow right down to Ride, My Bloody Valentine and The Jesus and Mary Chain, and even a bit of Elvis Costello. These guys can sing and their harmonies are second to none. I thought I was listening to the Beach Boy's on many of the cuts---this is a great thing.

In my humble opinion El Goodo's self titled CD is a musical delight for anyone a fan of music. The first song 'Life Station' reminds me of the glory days of 'shoe gazing'! Then we go right back to the 60's for the second and third songs. 'If I Were a Song' is a masterpiece to a day long gone bye...I cannot get enough of this one. Now a complete musical turn, 'I Saw Nothing' brings together the vocals of band with trumpets and a sound right of a movie in a Mexican Cantina. Just amazing and completely different. My next pick is 'What Went Wrong? (or:How I Learnt to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb)', just think of Slim Pickens riding the bomb in Dr Strange Love. This is a beautiful piece with horns and gutiars and strings mixed together to make this song as errie as it is beautiful--my favourite on the CD. 'Chalking the Lines' another ode to the 60's, full of trumpets and the groovy feeling of the 60's. Personally, there is not one let down on the CD. Every song is crafted with feeling and musically is entertaining from the start to the end. Each track offers you something that reminds you of your past but places the present right in view.

So I would not only recommend you get this---GO TELL ALL EVERYONE about this CD! It has the potential to be one my favourites of all time. Everyone that I have let listen to the CD, has fallen for it. 'El Goodo' is El GREATO!! Get this one NOW. Rated 97/100!


Next is an American band from the Philadelphia/South Jersey area called Like A Fox. This 5 piece is: Jay Laughlin--Guitar and Vocals, Brian Wilkinson-Bass, Jeff Scioli-Guitar and Keys, Dave Grubb-Keys and Guitar, Pete Girgenti-Drums.

There debut self titled CD "Like a Fox", opens with 'Nobody Knows You', with the distinct vocals of Jay and a mixture of synth pop and driving guitars, you have a nice openner. The next song is a real keeper, 'A Little' is a mixture of Talk, Talk and The Ocean Blue, it's just a great pop song that makes you tap your fingers and makes your forget your in 2006. 'Almost There' musically sounds a bit like Snow Patrol, which in my opinion is a great thing. 'Carry it On' comes on like a train getting closer and closer, heavy guitars and pounding drums, makes this song, one of my favourites. As for the rest of the CD, Jay's vocals throughout the CD are intertwined with electric guitars and drums that make a really nice debut CD. Rated 92/100.

Next up is a plug for a friend of mine who runs a great blog called "British Accents". Its a great place to get updates and news about British Music, along with release dates of new CD's, both in the US and the UK. It also gives concert listings in both Boston and NY. Dave also is a DJ on a couple of different stations in the Boston area. He hosts a weekly show for NEW British music on 91.5 WMFO in Boston. The show airs live at 6-7pm on Sunday nights...and can be heard on the web at 91.5 WMFO. He has been the first to play many of the great new bands out of the UK. And I am sure he will be the first to play some of the music I have listed on my blog, so give Dave a listen...I am sure you will like what you hear!

Till next time...

No comments: